Workshop C – Stability Analysis for Mining Dams (½ day)
Saturday, October 14, 2017
, 1 pm to 5 pm
This workshop will provide an update on methods and approaches that should be utilized for stability analyses of earth dams in the mining sector. The topics to be covered include:
1. Applicability of drained and undrained stability analyses when potentially contractive materials are in the dam section.
2. Role of risk assessment in stability evaluation.
3. Role of deformation analyses and relationship to limit equilibrium analyses.
4. A framework for establishing suitable targets for factor of safety including consideration of consequences and triggers.
5. An overview of stability analysis and deformation analysis models.
6. Selecting parameters for stability calculations and spatial variability.
7. Seismic stability.
Registration Fee for Workshop C (1/2 day): $195
Presenters will be:
Andy Small, Amec Foster Wheeler
Chad LePoudre, SNC Lavalin
Scott Martens, CNRL
Mauricio Pinheiro, Thurber
Todd Martin, Anglo American
The overall goal of this workshop is to create a paper for publication in the quarterly CDA Bulletin
that reflects the state of practice for stability analyses for mining dams. There will be opportunities during and after the workshop for the workshop participants to contribute to the discussion and the paper. Note that the items discussed in this workshop are applicable to earth dams in the non-mining sector as well.